Icon Icon Icon Icon Icon Icon

Outdoor gatherings:
Making memories, not regrets
 July 29, 2014
By Melissa Kamp

Everyone wants to be outdoors this time of year. Block parties, family reunions and other functions are often stationed outside. As host, your concerns need to extend beyond hoping for cooperative weather and stocking snacks.

In general, any time you serve alcohol, host a pool party or provide equipment for entertainment, there is an element of potential liability on your part for any injury, and your insurance may not provide coverage.

If you own a backyard pool, you may be liable if someone is injured. Consider who uses your pool. Are children supervised? Do you limit the number of swimmers in the pool at one time? Are there slides or diving boards that could increase the risk of injury? Many insurance companies do not issue policies on properties with these types of pool equipment.

Other child-oriented activities pose hazards as well. There were several reports this year of injuries to children after bounce houses went airborne. While that is not likely to happen, other bounce house injuries are common. Children can knock into each other and cause injury. Whether you purchase or rent inflatables, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for setup and storage, and take common-sense precautions to prevent injury.

Trampolines pose an even bigger risk, and some carriers exclude trampolines from coverage or charge extra premium. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimated that in 2012 there were 94,900 hospital emergency room-treated injuries associated with trampolines. The agency also noted 22 deaths in the 10-year period between 2000 and 2009.

As part of its underwriting process, your insurance company may request documentation that safety measures are in place for bounce houses and trampolines.

When you serve alcohol, be especially careful. Slower response times and reduced clarity in judgment make routine games such as lawn darts, horseshoes or football more dangerous. Also, be aware that you may be held liable if a guest drives home from a party intoxicated and injures or kills someone, or damages someone’s property, on the way. Ask your insurance agent whether your potential liability would be covered by your homeowner policy. Coverage for liability arising out of serving alcohol to guests  is referred to as host liquor liability and is not covered by all insurance companies.

Location is another concern. If you rent a shelter, be sure to ask your agent if your homeowner’s liability insurance extends property damage coverage to the rented location.

Most picnics and parties go off without a hitch. However, before you plan a big event, it is a good idea to review your homeowner’s liability coverage with your agent to make sure you are covered should an accident occur.

Posted 1:28 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014

View Mobile Version

Tidwell & Hilburn Insurance is a BBB Accredited Insurance Company in Macon, GA

© Copyright. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder.